Restoration of our 1980 Hunter 27 sailboat

Documenting the restoration and sailing of our boat, also this will be a source of information about these boats. I will have brochures, manuals, and specifications available. Photos will be posted and they are also viewable in my Flickr stream on the right. Documentation I collect on the boat is also on the right.

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Wiring the boat

I have begun rewiring the boat, it's COLD outside so I didn't get too far. I'll go back tomorrow and work until I get too cold. I purchased all the wire online for less than half what it would have cost me at a retailer, also bought some 14-16ga, 10-12ga heat shrink terminals, and some clear shrink wrap. What I did is put labels under the shrink wrap identifying the circuit. I printed these on a thermal labelmaker and was afraid heating the shrinkwrap with the labels under them would turn them black, but it didn't, they turned out perfect. I did have trouble getting them shrunk however, it's so cold that both the torch lighter and the regular Bic lighter I had on hand simply refused to light. Warming them up next to the little space heater seemed to work, but they were still unreliable at best. So you can see some carbon deposits on some of the shrinkwrap.

 
 
As you can see I didn't finish the grounds, the terminals don't fit on this bus bar, I'm going to put them on the new bus bar. I am going to replace this ugly woodgrain panel anyway.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you have quite the project on your hands, but it will be well worth it in the end. I like what you did with the nav station, more storage is always needed it semms.

    Where did you find the wire at half price?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    Good Post shared..i like the way you have explained every single point in this post. i did get some very good points from here. thanks for sharing your post and keep posting here in future too. i am looking for some information on boat instrument panel,aircraft instrument panels and airplane instrument panel so it would be nice if you can share some information related to these here in your future posts..

    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete